Healthy Homemade Popcorn
Rainy Sunday afternoon / pulled out the couch / made a blanket fortress / lit a fall candle / put on Girls / made homemade popcorn.
🌧 📺 🍿
I was inspired to DIY popcorn by the sketch fest of ingredients in the bottom of a microwave popcorn bag. But what surprised me was how easy and delicious the homemade version was, and how quickly and thoroughly I became addicted to it.
- popcorn kernels
- olive oil
- sea salt
- red pepper flakes
- nutritional yeast
1. Cover the bottom of a pot with (only) one layer of popcorn kernels. Whatever size, this will almost exactly fill up the pot with popped corn.
2. Heavily coat the kernels with olive oil (wet but not swimming).
3. Season the kernels aggressively with sea salt (10-15 grinds), roasted red pepper flakes (1 tsp or so), and nutritional yeast (about 2 tbsp). (Other topping ideas: rosemary & truffle oil; Sriracha & maple syrup; vanilla, cinnamon & nutmeg; cilantro & lime; coconut oil, curry powder & ginger.)
3. Turn on your burner to the highest heat and wait about 3 minutes for the first kernel to pop.
4. Once the kernels start popping, hold lid closed and shake the pot back and forth every 5-10 seconds to keep kernels from getting stuck to the bottom. Do this until the pops are about 3 seconds apart, then turn off heat.
5. Let final kernels pop and cool, about a minute. Pour popcorn into a big bowl.
6. Build blanket fort, tee up Netfilx, get into it.