Wild Rice & Roasted Root Vegetable Harvest Bowl
The rise of the Grain Bowl is a dominant trend in the healthy/fast/casual food space, and a true autumn gift to us all. No longer is the only nutrient-packed, quick, and delicious winter option a soup and/or sad desk lunch salad. However in vogue, I'm a huge fan of this roasted, savory, plant-based alternative.
This roasted harvest rice bowl was inspired by a few packages of our good friend Amos' own family farmed, Goose Valley wild rice, paired with our CSA's November produce lineup. Goose Valley's wild rice is an echelon above conventional rice, both in flavor and farming, with its high protein, nuttiness, and rich colors. PRO TIP: It's also actually Trader Joe's generic brand of wild rice. 😱 🙌🏼 And can also be ordered on Amazon. #worthit 🙏🏼
As for the CSA, we're working on the art of orchestrating a little bit of a lot of different seasonal veggies together into one medley. This week's result was this rustic, satisfying, earth-forward ode to fall.
Here's how this grain bowl goes down.
🍚 + 🌱🍃 + 🌶🥕🌽🥔🍠🍆
1) Start with a base of wild rice & a handful of greens. (Any kind! We went arugula.)
2) Add in a cornucopia of roasted veggies. (This could literally be anything. Get inspired by squash/root vegetables/anything about to go bad in your fridge.)
3) Top with whatever salad/other dressing you want. (We went spicy/savory – see below for Sriracha Tahini recipe.)
Both the weeknight-frendliest or weekend decadent-est.
- 2 cups Goose Valley black wild rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- acorn squash
- brussel sprouts
- small potatoes
- yellow squash
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Chop up all veggies and place on foil-lined baking sheet. Season with olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, salt, & pepper. (High elbow.)
3. Bake veggies for 30-40 minutes.
4. Boil water + vegetable broth for rice and cook according to package directions.
5. Make Sriracha Tahini sauce while veggies are roasting.
6. After veggies are sufficiently roasty, take them out and let cool.
7. Build your bowl: start with rice, add greens, top with roasted veggies & drizzle with dressing.
8. Grind on some more s&p for good luck.
9. Rejoice in the bounty of autumn. 🍁