Summer Dreams of Pasta
My favorite, unexpected perk of going mostly vegan is this: grains are no longer the enemy. With such a veggie-heavy diet, there's room (and necessity) for good, whole wheat, rice, quinoa, and barley. Long live college days of "cutting carbs." Goodbye "lite" science of the 1990s, dawned is a new day. Of pasta.
This recipe was born on a Sunday, when your soul is calling for comfort food, but your brain is begging you to eat something this weekend that grew from the ground. Rich, creamy, and close-your-eyes kind of good, this creation satisfies both. While secretly healthy, it's also what my personal food-dreams are made of.
Creamy Mushroom & Sun-Dried Tomato Vegan Alfredo
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 2 cartons button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (or as much as your ❤️ desires)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 13 oz package whole wheat pasta
- roasted red pepper flakes
- Make your vegan alfredo sauce. Put the cashews, water, nutritional yeast, mustard, lemon and garlic in a blender. Blend until creamy. Add in add salt & pepper to taste.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium. Add half of the olive oil and fry the onion. (Try to stir as little as possible to get a good char.)
- Add mushrooms and the remaining half of the olive oil. Sauté for 5-10 minutes until they cook down.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, boil water and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Add thyme, sun-dried tomates and vegan alfredo to the frying pan. When you add the sauce, take a spoonful of pasta water and stir in to get your favorite consistency. Heat everything together, then remove from heat.
- Drain the pasta and mix it into your sauce.
- Sprinkle with roasted red pepper flakes & serve! 🍝
Pairs best with cheap Côtes du Rhône, good friends, and a late summer evening.