Vegan Taquitos with Chipotle Crema
It's Super Bowl LII and we're on team taquito. Not particularly fond of either the Pats or the Eagles (still, go Eagles), we've put our energy towards creating a delicious alternative for enjoying the game: sweet potato black bean taquitos.
Frozen taquitos have a special place in our hearts from high school and college, so it feels refreshing to make a fresh version where we actually know what the inside is made of. The creamy sweet potato base packs a Mexican veggie medley of red onions and bell peppers for a mixture fit for any salsa, guac, or sauce you'd dip into watching the game.
Crispy on the outside and dipped in a cool, spicy Chipotle Crema, this halftime snack may even be worthy of Justin Timberlake.
For the Taquitos
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/4 green pepper, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lime, juices
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 8 small flour tortillas
For the Crema
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- chipotle hot sauce, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a small pot, boil the sweet potato until soft.
- While boiling potato, make the crema. Placing all crema ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until creamy. Chill in the fridge until taquitos are ready to serve.
- Drain and mash postatoes. In a bowl combine the mashed sweet potato with the remaining taquito ingredients up to the cilantro.
- Place 3 tablespoons of the filling in the middle of a tortilla, top with fresh cilantro, and roll it up tightly.
- Place each taquito seam side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Once you’ve rolled all your taquitos, bake for 20-30 minutes until crispy, turning them over once during baking. Allow to cool, then serve with the chipotle crema.