BBQ Jackfruit Pineapple Sliders
BBQ season is upon us. Instead your your usual potluck dish, bring this. It’s fresh, it’s interesting, it’s easy to make, and it will trick your friends into not even missing the pulled pork it’s imitating. Plus, it only takes about 30 minutes to prep and won’t monopolize any precious space on the grill.
Citrusy jackfruit meets tangy BBQ sauce meets sweet pineapple meets creamy avocado mash for a harmonious alt-burger slider. In a bite, it feels like Hawaii on the beach with a hint of southern charm.
If you’ve cooked with jackfruit before, you probably know the texture comes really close to pulled pork and takes on any flavor you throw at it. If you don’t know about jackfruit yet, get ready for a Pandora’s box of new vegan recipes options, with everything from enchiladas to sloppy joe’s to sandwich wraps.
**A note — the fruit may be harder to track down depending on your grocery store, so look for it in one of two ways (either of which will work for any recipe): 1) fresh, in the form of a giant spiky green tropical fruit or 2) pre-packaged in a variety of brands and flavors (like this and this), usually right near the tofu.
Makes 8 sliders
- 2 cups jackfruit
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce (Your choice, we love x brand because they use way less sugar and all ingredients we can read!)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 fresh pineapple (or 1 can of pineapple rings)
- 8 slider buns (We did pretzel, which is so good! But any kind will work.)
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- s&p to taste
- Place all of the jackfruit into a big mixing bowl. If you are using fresh jackfruit, cut away the skin and remove the seeds. Here’s a helpful video.
- Use two forks to pull the jackfruit apart just like you would pulled pork.
- Add BBQ sauce and spices and mix it all together to coat the jackfruit.
- Next, cook seasoned/sauced jackfruit in a pan over medium heat. (No olive oil needed.)
- While the jackfruit is heating up, make avocado mash. Using a fork, just smash your avocados in a bowl and add some salt and pepper. Also, cut slices of pineapple to fit your slider buns.
- Compose the sliders! Spread the avocado on each top bun, then place your pineapple slice on the bottom bun and top with about a quarter cup of jackfruit. Smash and serve!